Monday, January 11, 2010

Hot Date in Cold Gouda

I learned something today. This afternoon, Liesbeth and I went out on a very nice afternoon date to Gouda. (To Desmond's probable gratification, we did not ride the bicycles.) I had been wanting to do something special for Lies since she'd been such a nice hostess for my friend, not to mention a wonderful wife for me. Instead of my conventional evening-out-for-dinner date, we went shopping together. It's amazing to witness the transformation in my wife when she enters a store (especially a clothing store). She enters her element; energy courses through her veins; her eyes twinkle and her smile sparkles. And I have found that when her eyes twinkle so affectionately and her smile sparkles so beautifully, and I can say little (translation: nothing). Result: I came home with a new pair of trousers and a new shirt. Once she'd scratched a wardrobe addition for her man off her list, we walked through the old city at a more relaxed pace.

We tried to find a poster of some of Monet's artwork to hang over our couch, but that was unsuccessful. So we perambulated further down the street, poking our head (and wallet) in a few more stores along the way. We found a very beautiful skirt for her (her eyes are still twinkling) and some tasty cups of ... yes, you guessed it: hot chocolate (her favorite). We also found a mouse.

But don't worry. The mouse wasn't in the apple cake, or the hot chocolate, or even the cafe. It was in the Kijk-Shop, which sells miscellaneous items for home electronics. I finally bought a mouse for my laptop, so I can more easily mouse around with my left hand, to give the muscles in the right hand a break.

So, what did I learn? Liesbeth really enjoys shopping, and buying even better. Before today, that was just head knowledge, but now I have personal experience. I even have the shirt to prove it.

Oh, and I'm feeling much better, and Liesbeth is healthy, too, though we still need to keep up on our rest.

5 comments:

  1. So glad you two are feeling gezond! And, Rapp, I can see that you are very smart. For once you took my advice and you can see that it paid off. I can't wait to see photos of you and Lies in your new clothes or kleren. After reading D's blog, I definitely want to go to the Van Gogh museum on one of my visits! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. what fun it is to keep up with alllll your happenings. sorry you've all been so sick, but, as you've found out 'character is built in the hard times' and, I'm sure it helped make the shopping trip that much more fun!!!
    i'm keeping busy getting 'retreat' plans secured, staying up with indoor soccer and basketball games and 'bible study'.
    miss you both (oh, yes, A & B are looking to head back this way asap....whoohoo! oxo g'ma h

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are both feeling better. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and planned a very special date for your wife so I am sure the sparkle was not just because she was shopping. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed all the blogs and am so grateful to you both for taking care of Desmond. His skype conversation has been full of praise for his old friend (and he is so glad his friend hasn't changed all that much, albeit a bit better dressed ):-) and for his new friend who is now aiding his old friend in the clothes department. We miss you both and look forward to the detailed reports tomorrow afternoon. Thank you again for the love you showed to Desmond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Liesbeth!!! Can't wait to see your new clothes! Good job on taking her shopping. It truly is a wonderful thing. :-)
    Glad you are all feeling better! I just got my chocolate from Desmond today! It is SO good! Take care and talk to you later!
    Love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete