When Liesbeth took possession of our apartment this summer, the former tenant sold us the flooring in the living room and bedrooms. The only problem was that not all of the trim had been put on, and there were some large gaps (~2 cm) between the flooring and the wall in very visible places. Every now and then, I'd hear a gentle reminder about the trim not being installed yet, and I finally decided that I'd tackle the project. My father-in-law kindly lent me his miter saw and jig saw, and seven hours later, the job was done. Liesbeth was very happy. To help ensure her happiness, I made a concentrated effort to vacuum up all the sawdust from the living room. Fortunately, my cleaning job received the same high marks as my carpentry job.
It was very handy that I finished that task yesterday, because I'll soon be losing the flexible schedule I've had these last few months. At my brother-in-law Stefan's suggestion, Liesbeth and I visited a greenhouse in Boskoop today. (Boskoop is a village a few kilometers to the north of Waddinxveen.) We walked into their front office and I asked the receptionist about vacancies, and she went to talk to her manager. While we were waiting, a gentleman came around the corner and asked if we needed help. But the secretary was already taking care of us. Her manager told me about the vacancies, and I told her that I like to work hard and learn new things, I've always dreamed of working in greenhouses, and that I have five green thumbs. This sounded interesting. She took my CV, and registered me in their system. At which point, the gentleman who had earlier come around the corner, stepped out of his office, and asked if we could do an interview right then.
Turns out that he was the Productions Manager. We had a nice interview. Marius was quite pleased to find I was a native English speaker, because Starre Group (that's the company name, see www.starregroup.nl for the company website) is currently working on entering the American market. He offered me a temporary position, lasting from February to August. But he seemed quite hopeful, that after I show what I can do for the company (not everyone has five green thumbs), a permanent position may well be forthcoming. Praise the Lord for a job! I was pleasantly surprised to find out during the interview that temp workers also get vacation days ... my contract will give me 14 days vacation!
The company is quite interesting. The big boss (he's three times as big as Marius, weighing in at nearly 160 kilos--350 lbs--according to Marius) is Dutch Reformed. The lunch break begins with quiet time for people to pray, and right after the lunch break is over, the President or one of the managers reads a chapter of the Bible aloud and closes the time in prayer. How unique! I assured Marius that would present no problem to me. He also told me that cursing isn't aloud, and if I heard any of the other temp workers using bad language, I was to remind them of the rule. The company dress code is also very nice ... I'm supposed to wear trousers and decent shirts (no holes, except those for the head and arms) and female workers have to wear skirts and modest blouses/shirts. As he gave me a tour of the premises, it was nice not to hear any worldly music or anything of the sort. I'm very thankful for such a job!
As I conclude this post, I can smell fine fragrances wafting from the kitchen. Supper is almost ready. And I am ready for it, too! Tonight, we have the special privilege of hosting Bro. Philip Mawugbe, a friend from home. Or, rather, he was from home, but he's since moved to Canada. But that's beside the point, which is he's visiting us this weekend en route to Tanzania, where he's joining a missions team. But before I go chasing after more rabbits, I'll sign off ... and go eat supper!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great job on the construction! Very impressive about the 5 green thumbs. I also heard that your Dutch is top-notch! I am, however, a little concerned that your English is slipping a little...."cursing isn't aloud"??? So as long as you are quiet or just thinking it, it's ok? Haha! Yay me! Except, of course, if I am wrong, and there is some special technical rule that says that use of "aloud" is equal to "allowed". I am just giving you a hard time, so please don't start editing my comments. I teach elementary for a reason! :-) Anyway, very nice to hear from you again! Keep the post coming!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Jess
My, Jess, that's quite embarrassing. To my knowledge, there are no esoteric grammatical rules permitting "aloud" to borrow from "allowed." So you make quite a good, though sharp, point. Your students are in good hands!
ReplyDeleteWoW Rapp!!! Congrats on the job!! Sounds like a true blessing!!!
ReplyDeleteHow neat!
ReplyDeleteAnd please tell Phillipe hello for me.
We haven't seen him in several years and you see him before we do because of moving to Holland. Haha. Amazing. :)
Congrats on the job, Rapp! I was excited to hear it from the pulpit! You're making the missionary reports =D Take care!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Jeannie
Congrats Rapp! It is so wonderful to be in Gods' hands isn't it?!?!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you've found a good job there Rapp! (Just got the link for the blog from Liesbeth) Wow, sure would be nice to have those kind of conduct and dress code rules at jobs here in the States! That's something!
ReplyDelete-Laura