Thursday, December 17, 2009

SNOW!

This morning, I awoke to the happy sound of children's voices. I got up to look around, and quickly discovered the cause of the (neighbor) kids' celebration: the snow! It seems that even as leaders from around the world gather north of us in Copenhagen to discuss the globe's devastating warming. I remember C.S. Lewis' observation that while children frequently enjoy the weather ("Mommy, can [sic] I please play outside in the rain?") adults usually find something to worry about. This week, Copenhagen has an unfortunate overabundance of adults.

This past weekend was a blur of activity. Liesbeth had long been wanting me to paint the dining table white, and the day finally came. We spent Saturday prepping the table and applying its first coat. My favorite moment of the day came in the shortly after noon, when Liesbeth commented, "Isn't it fun to paint together?" I just laughed and replied, "In the same way that it's fun to bike on the tandem, and canoe, yes, it is fun to paint together!" It requires but little imagination to understand why people laughed at us on our honeymoon when they saw "us" peddling "together" on the tandem bicycle! But a later, Liesbeth really did help us paint the table. Though we lack the corroborating photographic evidence, she painted one of the chairs and part of the table, too. And, I offer the photo to the right as corroborating evidence to demonstrate that, yes, it really was fun to paint together. After much arduous labor (see the corroborating photo to the left) and another full day on Monday in which I applied a second coat to said table and chairs, the project was completed. Of course, the best part was seeing the finished product, of which there is also corroborating evidence. (In case you were seeking an explanation for all the "corroborating evidence" in today's post, I've been reading Lee Strobel's chapter on corroborating evidence of the Gospels in The Case for Christ.)

As a brief postscript, I'm guessing Michelangelo began with something like a dining room table before he graduated to the Sistine Chapel. I can imagine the birth of his "contract" for the Sistine Chapel taking place when the alleged Pope visited the Michelangelo's at lunch time. Said pope was so impressed with the alleged table that he offered the artist the chapel. Of course, I lack any corroborating evidence. But my interpretations probably don't leak nearly so much water as Dan Brown's (of Da Vinci Code notoriety). Hmmm.... the clock has ticked too far for me to continue with a second postscript, but I'll try to address the kilometer tax in a later post! Besides, it probably warrants more than a postscript!

6 comments:

  1. No snow here right now, just frigid.
    And, nice Dan Brown dig. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post!! :) Thanks for the news/update! I enjoy seeing the pics of the project you guys were telling me about. Liesbeth - I really like your style/decorating taste...very nice. Rapp - excellent work. I'm sure - should the pope ever see your superior painting skills - he would extend to you a request/invitation to paint a "small chapel" as well... ;) J/K

    Thanks for the phone call BTW - it was VERY much appreciated! Totally made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Crooks! It looks very bright and cheery in there! Matches the hutch very nicely! Have a wonderful Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mentioned that Liesbeth helped. How come I don't see her picture in any of the work being done? Has she outflanked you already? G'pa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, Rapp. It really does look nice. Liesbeth, don't let him wait too long to paint the other two chairs- or it will never get done. Trust me, I know. Julie

    ReplyDelete