Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Days with Desmond

No, the photo to the left is not of Desmond. It is my beautiful wife, preparing for said Desmond's arrival. Fortunately, by Monday Liesbeth was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (strictly a metaphor). There was no saying her nay; her days of being "sentenced" to the couch were certainly finished. That morning and early afternoon we made a few final preparations to make Desmond's stay with us as comfortable as possible.

These last few days, Liesbeth and I have enjoyed Desmond's company. He arrived in Schiphol on Monday afternoon. (I was quite pleased with myself that I managed to drive to and from without losing the way.) It's taken some time to learn how to get around on the highways. Like in the USA, the highway signs help drivers navigate by giving the names of the cities that lie ahead. If you don't know all the city names, they don't prove very helpful. (And I find the signs to be much smaller and less well lit, but I'll stop complaining.) I'm finally becoming acquainted with the lay of the cities about the land, so driving isn't so difficult as it once was.

It's been a lot of fun to have a guest from home. It's gratifying to share some of the local sights with a friend. Liesbeth is really enjoying his sense of humor, too. Yesterday, we (Desmond and I) visited Gouda together using the quintessentially Dutch mode of transportation: the bicycle. I think one such cultural experience will suffice for Desmond. He was quite happy that when we traveled to Rotterdam today, we took the train. In Rotterdam, we visited an art museum and some shops (namely, a book store). Desmond wanted to cook a meal for us, so he purchased a cookbook and tomorrow we will happily surrender the kitchen to him and our palates will await the delights he'll serve. Flavors don't post so deliciously, but perhaps I'll be able to post some photos of our meal together.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Rapp, I loved your Christmas meditation and you gratitude meditation. You are definitely going to have to write a book of meditations. It would sell like hotcakes. I'm glad you are able to be with someone from home.
    Long live the Dutch- kudos to Jasper!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rapp,

    ...been reading your blogs with much interest even tho no comments are posted. Sounds like biking to Gouda will be a nice day for your mom and I this spring....since you'll be working..that's spoken by faith! Love, George (your mom was incredulous today when at Panera Bread I gave my name as George for the order...I was tempted to say Becky as that was the order girls name..so George was the compromise. Becky questioned if George was pulled from the air...as my credit card said james...someone has to spice your mom's life up!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jim! You crack me up! You and Julie have such interesting times together! =D Rapp, love reading the blog and meditations. I'm always looking forward to the next one! Praying that Desmond is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete