As I read in Numbers over my breakfast, I was struck by how much God values gratitude and hates complaining.
And the people rose all that day and all night and all the next day, and gathered the quail. Those who gathered least gathered ten homers. And they spread them out for themselves all around the camp. While the meat was yet between their teeth, before it was consumed, the anger of the LORD was kindled against the people, and the LORD struck down the people with a very great plague.
(Numbers 11:32-33)
In the beginning of this chapter, the Israelites aired their grievances over the manna God supernaturally provided them, and they expressed their longing for the free fish of Egypt, and the cucumbers, leeks, and melons they had eaten in the days of their slavery. It's interesting that our vision often gilds the past ("Oh, things were so much better then! I wish I could go back to that point in my life!") and the paints the present in tones of grey. (I think our view of the future somehow moves between these two points of the attitudinal spectrum.)
Too often, we despise God's present provision for us. In the case of the Israelites in the wilderness, God provided them daily with manna, and then after their tirade, He gave them a month's worth of quail. The people gather the quail and lay it out to dry and cure it. And then they eat it. And then God's anger flashes and he sends a plague on the people.
Why the plague? The complaining people gathered God's provision, and then began their dinners without ever once a) acknowledging their sin of murmuring and b) acknowledging God's provision with a prayer or sacrifice of gratitude. Would this story have a different ending had the Israelites expressed gratitude?
I've wondered before why God listened to their murmuring in the first place. Why didn't He ignore them, at least until they asked nicely? The quail seem to be almost a reward for their complaining. But as much as I catch myself murmuring sometimes in thoughts and prayers, I think I should stop asking why and just be thankful God listens to me!
After reading this chapter, I stopped for a few minutes to reflect on God's blessings in my life. Truly, we have been well provided for. We have wonderful family and friends. We are healthy (Lies is feeling much better today) and we have a nice and cozy apartment. Our car runs well; our bills our paid. We have peace in our hearts. As we look back, we can see God's leadership in our lives again and again. Praise the Lord for His goodness to us!

Great message Rapp. MIss you both so much. Anna is currently heading home (in the snow and ice). Had a great time with her while she was here. God bless you both. G'pa H.
ReplyDeletedear ones ... it is so good to hear Lies is feeling better ... missed you both over these holy days and happy to hear you've had plenty of fellowship (and food!) ... we'll be beginning Retreat sign-up this Sunday, sure hope they'll be a good turn out this year ... ohoooo it is so cold out today ... love you much ... g'ma H
ReplyDelete