Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Welkom

The flight from Detroit to Amsterdam went well. On Saturday, Lies and I prayed that I'd be able to get an exit row seat, and when I went to check-in online, sure enough, there was one available. It was the last one in front of the doors, which lets one stretch out fully. I got in the plane, took a sleeping pill with a glass of orange juice, read awhile, and then slept for about five hours! That doesn't happen very often. Upon landing, I was able to get through passport control very quickly. As I stood in line, I wondered what I'd say if they asked me why I was coming to the Netherlands. I didn't really want to give marriage as my reason, but the gentleman just stamped my passport and asked no questions. My bags made it through safely, and I received a very warm welcome from my long lost fiancee!

I slept well last night, and today I have busied myself with unpacking and a few odd jobs around the apartment. Sis. Celia from church gave us a bed and two endtables. One of the endtables needed to be put together, and I just finished doing that awhile ago. This morning, I worked on my electrical skills by trying to install a light fixture in the bathroom (after turning the breaker off!). I was only able to do about half the job, as I lacked a drill bit. Currently, "my" household tools consist of things Liesbeth's family has left at the apartment, and though there was a drill, the only bit was one for mixing paint. I talked to Bro. Ab (pronounced Op) this afternoon, and we should be able to get the necessary bit(s) this evening.

On Saturday or Sunday, Liesbeth's niece Anke went into the hospital, and she's been diagnosed with diabetes. She's likely to be in the hospital for the rest of the week. Lies (pronounced lease, so none think I'm prevaricating!) and I will likely visit her this evening, before we meet with the city orator, the person designated to officiate at our civil ceremony. She will want to know the story of how we met, etc. Creativity might prove to be a strong temptation. Good thing I haven't been reading any Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn lately!

I'm working on learning my way around Waddinxveen (pronounced Vod-inks-fain). In a few minutes, I'll pick up Liesbeth from her work, on the way to her parents' house, where we'll eat supper. We had a delicious meal last night of pork loin covered with a nice mushroom sauce, potatoes, and applesauce. (Dessert was vanilla and blackberry ice cream ... she hasn't forgotten my weak spot!) Time to get ready to go ... hope I remember the way!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for pointing out the non sequitur. Hopefully I've cleared up the confusion on leases, Lies, and prevarication!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly me, I swapped the 'e' and the 'r'.
    And I'm glad you can still get your ice cream fix in Holland. ;)

    ReplyDelete